Thursday, September 22, 2005
Waking up from My Nightmare
Wow. It looks like I was really missed. First, let me say I'm really sorry for not being around but the last 2 weeks have been a nightmare. The mold in our apartment got so bad that we made the big decision to move even though our lease wasn't up until December. Our landlord was ecstatic about letting us out of the lease because that meant he could renovate the apartment and get a ton more money for it. Oh well. Anyway, we decided to move to Brooklyn where we could find a cheaper, bigger apartment and the commute to Manhattan wouldn't be too long. So last Thursday we moved to our new place but of course the new landlord lied to us and told us the place was ready for us to move in. Nothing could be further from the truth. No electricity. Plumbing messed up. They were still working on the place when we showed up and there were saws and saw dust everywhere! It was insane and horribly hot. So almost 3 days with no electricity and we couldn't use the tub, no hot water, rooms needing to be painted, and I could go on and on. I went back to the old apartment to clean it up and turn in the keys (and hopefully get a shower) but to my surprise ... they went into the apartment and gutted it in the few days after we moved out! Everything was gone!! I was in shock. At least we got most of our stuff out. So I call up the old landlord and he apologizes and offering me a rent reduction to make up for it. The new landlord also took off a week of rent to make up for all the "inconveniences" we have suffered.

So, the old landlord claims the apartment early and the new landlord didn't finish our new apartment. We felt like we were in limbo. And here we are in the heat with a baby girl and Wampi who was seriously freaked out and not wanting to spend another minute in that cage he lived in for 2 months.

Fast forward to tonight.

So here I am, finally in our new apartment with electricity, working toilets and a bathtub, lukewarm water and things seem to be settling down now ... but wait ... in blows Rita to Texas! I grew up in Texas and my mom and sister are now trapped in grid lock on I-45 going north to Dallas trying to get out before the Hurricane hits. My dad lives on a small farm south of Houston and he is headed Southwest to get away from the storm. His house is so old that winds of 100+ will most likely rip the roof off. My aunt had heart surgery last week and is driving alone with her cat and dog trying to stay in contact with my Mom and sister but the cell phone lines keep jamming. I'm all stressed out with worry.

So there you have it guys. My life has been a nightmare of neverending stresses for weeks and I'm sorry I haven't posted but hopefully you understand why. We are all doing better here (especially being away from all the mold rampant at the old apartment) but now I'm worried about my family. And I miss my old neighborhood in the East Village.

Wampi is doing great and, except for his legs bowing out in the back and his inability to jump, he seems much like his old self. He even caught a mouse earlier today and brought it to me. Yes, He loves me! =)

I'll try to post some photos soon but please bare with me ... my life has been chaotic and I'm one inch away from freaking out.
posted by Cam at 9:04:00 PM |

8 Comments:

Blogger Emerald said...

Glad you are back! You all made it through, just as your family will. I'll send light and love to them and protection from Rita.

Thursday, September 22, 2005 11:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of these days the world will blow up and you can say, "Oh that's nothing, back in September of oh-five-----". Be glad you are young while this is going on. Will say a prayer for your family. Give Wampi, and Avalon, a pat on the head

Thursday, September 22, 2005 11:15:00 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Glad you are all ok. Was starting to get a little worried. I know that you are glad that the dreaded move is now behind you. Good luck with your new apartment.

Friday, September 23, 2005 5:42:00 AM  
Blogger ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Had been concerned, I always check to see how Wampi has been doing and not seeing your updates, knew something was wrong.

Hope your family is OK. I know how hurricanes are. Bad news. Keep us posted on everyone.

Friday, September 23, 2005 6:56:00 AM  
Blogger Wilson Clan said...

Wow, what a nightmare for sure! Sorry you've had to go through all this with a baby and a kitty cat that wants so bad to start being a normal cat again!

I pray your family will get out safe.... My fil has some relatives staying with him that have evacuated..he's in Austin.

It's just a scary mess..

Friday, September 23, 2005 9:37:00 AM  
Blogger Blueyes said...

That's just unbelievable...Unfortunately I've been in that situation as well with the new place not being ready and it sucks.

Glad everybodies doing well. Can't wait for pictures!!

Friday, September 23, 2005 5:23:00 PM  
Blogger kewpiedoll said...

I missed Wampi and you so much and I'm just glad you all are doing fine...here's praying for your family's safety and well-being amidst the devastation of hurricane Rita.

Saturday, September 24, 2005 6:32:00 AM  
Blogger Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Glad that you are finally in some apartment comfort. Hope that all of your family is safe! Keep us posted. Give Wampi a pat on the head for me!!

Saturday, September 24, 2005 9:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home