Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Wampi's Physical Therapy: Day 3 (Terror & Retreat)


So last night I took Wampi out of the cat cage and put him on our bed to give him some exercise. He limped around a little bit. He didn't cry or meow but he seemed agitated. He kept trying to go to the edge of the bed and jump off. The vet said that I was to absolutely NOT let him jump for awhile but there he went, jumped off the bed about a foot off the ground.

I was horrified. I held my breath waiting for him to cry or scream (his kitty scream is bone-chilling) but nothing. He stood there for a second, then sat down.

Whew. I took a deep breath. My nerves were already rattled!

I let him stay on the floor because he seemed to be happier there. I pet him a bunch and my husband pet him a lot (while I took photos) and I tried to coax him into walking. He wasn't too interested in that but he did walk a little bit when I brought out the food!

Now, he doesn't really seem to be in too much pain. He tried to scratch his head with that paw (the formerly cast one) but couldn't do it. He'd bring his leg up to his head and it would hover there, then he'd put it down. Too sensitive.



But then something weird happened. My husband was sitting at my desk and messing with my things (no big deal) and he was teasing me about my house shoes that stay planted underneath the desk (hey, my feet get cold while I'm sitting here!). These are pretty silly shoes ... ones my mom bought for me when I was pregnant because they each have a little button on the side that you can push to activate a vibration (it runs on AA batteries). I never wore them when I was pregnant kuz my feet were too swollen and I still don't use the vibration part, but they are warm. Anyway, my husband was playing with these shoes and he pushed that vibration button.

And Wampi freaked out!

He didn't hiss, or cry out ... his eyes got big and he backed up quickly on the floor dragging his leg and looking TERRIFIED.

Now, I know a lot of you may say, "hey, don't worry ... cats get spooked ... it's just the way they are."

But not Wampi. Or at least not before the accident. Wampi used to be very inquisitive, friendly, happy, purring and coo-ing all the time. Just amazingly social for a cat. But I guess he has some post-tramautic stress going on ... hopefully he'll get through it with time.

Rich put the shoe away quickly and I quickly tried to reassure him with lots of petting and gentle talking. He was shaking ... shaking like the shaking he does before going to the vet (and he's terrified of the pain of the cast chamge).

Why is he so afraid? And why NOW?

After that, he limped over to the stool that sits in front of the table where his cat cage is sitting on. The cage is up there level with the window so he can look out.

He put his front paws on the stool, holding up his back leg and balancing on the other. Then he meowed while looking at his cage and turned back to look at me.

He wanted to go back to the cat cage.

=(

Well, I guess he associates the cage with safety.

*Sigh*

Little bit, by little bit.
posted by Cam at 8:04:00 AM |

11 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

He looks great Cam. So sorry that he is so scared. Hopefully that will pass with time. But, I guess if I had happen to me what happen to him, I would be scared also. Thanks for the update. I check the site several times daily to see if you have posted.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 8:32:00 AM  
Blogger Cam said...

Thank you Stacy and lilred. He is doing better than I thought in light of what the vet said last Friday.

I let him out a little bit today already and he seemed ok, just skiddish. And he wants to move more than he can so he starts to go for a jump and then aborts before he gets off the ground. After about 20 minutes of being out and walking a little bit on the couch, he is back in his cage. I'm glad he feels safe there.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 9:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking good Wampi. Day by day, step by step. Don't worry Cam, his cage will probably be his "Safe Haven" for a while to come...after all he's been through. The bright side is, at least he has a "Safe Haven". It will help no end until he becomes confident again. We're all still here for him, and will continue to be, and we'll all still be here for you and your family to Cam. Keep up the goods work Wampi.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 9:32:00 AM  
Blogger Pipi Longstockings said...

I just bumped into this blog. I cant believe anyone would do something so hearless & cruel. I wish Wampi & you all the best. Its good t6o hear hes making some improvements.

God bless.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger Pipi Longstockings said...

I just bumped into this blog. I cant believe anyone would do something so hearless & cruel. I wish Wampi & you all the best. Its good t6o hear hes making some improvements.

God bless.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 10:08:00 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

CAM, WAS HE YOUR CAT BEFORE THE ACCIDENT? I HAVE BEEN BEGGING FOR HELP TO HELP PAY FOR THE VET BILLS. I HAVE STARTED COLLECTING CHANGE NOW, SO AS SOON AS I GET ENOUGH TO MAKE A DIFFREENCE, I WILL CASH IT IN AND SEND IT THROUGH PAY PAL YOUR WAY.

I AM JUST SUCH AN ANIMAL LOVER. I HAVE 4 CATS AND 2 DOGS, AND JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW SOMEONE COULD DO THIS TO AN ANIMAL.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Cam said...

Hi Stacy,

Yes, I adopted Wampi a few years ago ... he wasn't quite a year old. He was a rescue kitten from a home on the Lower East Side ... I don't have the details as to why they were taken/given up from their birth home. But I do know that he was adopted out twice before he came to live with me. Both times people returned him to City Critters (the rescue that took him in) because he was too "hyper" and they couldn't handle him.

When I saw him in that cage at Petco (where they were set up to adopt out cats), I fell in love with him. I wanted to adopt him so bad ... he just walked right out of the cage onto my shoulder like he picked me. I fell in love with him right then.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

If the shoes were on the floor when your husband turned them on he could have felt and been freaked by the vibrations. I'm sure he will slowly get back to his old self.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 3:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Little bit by little bit, ya got it. Wampi really looks good in the pics.

As you claim to be owned by Wampi, you know cats pretty well pick their people My two did. Back door show ups. Could not get rid of them. Never knew ANYONE to make themself at home like these cats the 1st time they broke in.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 4:22:00 PM  
Blogger Emerald said...

I'm so happy for Wampi! He'll be just fine. I'd be scared to ever move again if someone threw me off a building. I'm sending Reiki for Wampi's recovery.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 7:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cast music pod
Information cast music pod

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 12:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home