Friday, September 02, 2005
The Horror of Hurricane Katrina ... Wampi says Donate to the Red Cross


SaveWampi is suspending its donation drive for the month of September to help the Hurricane Katrina relief efforts in New Orleans and the Gulf States. If you are moved by Wampi's story and wish to donate, please consider donating to the American Red Cross instead. All money I raise from bottle/can deposits for the month of September will be donated to the American Red Cross. Regular Wampi updates will continue as usual and I will resume our donation drive on October 1st to pay off the remaining vet bill. Thank you. =^..^=


I can't believe what I'm seeing on television. I've been to New Orleans several times and it's gone. Might as well call it Atlantis. I have friends there ... I hope they are ok.

I feel so lucky, so blessed to have my home (be it ever so small and rented), my wonderful husband and daughter, and of course Wampi. We don't have a lot but we have each other and we've had so much support from the blog community to help us with the tragedy that happened to Wampi last June.

The problems of my life seem so insignificant when I see what is happening on television to the people of New Orleans.

So I've been thinking ... Wampi's surgery bill is almost paid off and I still have until Dec. 14 to pay the balance. I don't have much at all to donate to help the victims/refugees of Katrina but I can ask this:

If you are moved by Wampi's story and want to donate to help pay off his debt, please send whatever you would donate to Wampi, to the American Red Cross instead. I'll start taking donations again on October 1 to help pay off Wampi's remaining surgery bill. I only need to raise $365.74 by Dec. 14 so I know I can do that in 2 1/2 months.

But right now, the people in New Orleans and the surrounding area are without homes, food, water ... I heard today there were dead bodies inside and outside of the Superdome, rapes happening in there, alligators in the water, sewage flooding the city and 80% of New Orleans is gone. Who knows how many people died in their homes. I could go on but everyone is hearing about this ... to recount it all makes my stomach hurt.

I'm also going to donate the deposit money I receive for recycling bottles & cans for the month of September to the American Red Cross. It won't be much, but it is something. I have to do something. So many people have helped us, I want to help these people in this tragic time. I'll keep posting Wampi updates and letting everyone know how he is recovering, but no donations to Wampi for the month of September. Please help the Red Cross help these people. If I could, I would go down there myself and volunteer my help ... but I have a family to take care of ... we all do what we can to help our fellow humans out.

For those of you safe in your homes, count your blessings and help out these people if you can. My heart goes out to the refugees of New Orleans.

p.s. - I need to thank 3 more people who donated during the last week of August ... Huge thank you's go out to Greg, Rena and Amy! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
posted by Cam at 7:29:00 PM |

2 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

Thanks Cam, that is so nice of you. Nice to know that others care. I too am thankful that all we lost was 20 trees, and power. At least I still have a home.

Friday, September 02, 2005 10:10:00 AM  
Blogger Emerald said...

Cam you are a wonderful person! Say hey to Wampi for me! :)

Friday, September 02, 2005 11:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home