Saturday, August 27, 2005
Wampi's First Night Out!



Yep, that's right. The Wampster stayed out of his cage the entire night. He is making leaps and bounds when it comes to getting rid of his fear. I kept thinking he would want to go back in, but no, he slept under our futon couch/bed the entire night. He woke me up this morning meowing beside the bed because he wanted me to pick him up and pet him. I was still really tired but I managed to pet the little guy for a bit.

Last night late, Wampi sat next to the couch meowing and I could tell he wanted something. Then, he tried to jump up onto the couch and of course, he couldn't do it. He got his front paws up on the edge but his back legs just can't push anymore. So, being the industrious kitty he is, he used his front paws (claws) to scale the side of the couch. Normally, I would not encourage the use of his claws on the couch, but I was fascinated. I wanted to see if he could do it ... and he did. He got up on the couch by pulling himself with his front paws! It was really amazing to see how he was compensating. And he was really happy afterwards too ... curled right up with me and seemed almost proud of himself.

Before December rolls around we will have to move out of this apartment because our lease is up ... and we'll probably be moving to Brooklyn because the apartments are bigger and much cheaper than in Manhattan, even though I live in one of the cheapest areas of Manhattan. Once we do find a different place, I am thinking I might get him those foam steps that someone mentioned in a previous post. This way he can lay on the couch or chair without clawing everything in site up!

On a different note, I wanted to alert all you dog-lovers out there as to what Emerald is up to ... tomorrow she's on her way to rescue a toy American Eskimo dog that is scheduled to be put down. She doesn't have much money although she has donated to Wampi's recovery several times by auctioning off some of her things, recycling cans and spreading Wampi's story. If you can, go to her site, check it out and help her a bit if you can via her PayPal button. She needs to raise $100. Emerald is really a wonderful person and cares deeply for animals. And that little dog is absolutely the sweetest, cutest, little thing.

Even though I haven't paid off all of Wampi's bill yet (geting super close though!), I am going to donate the $5 from my can collecting/recycling efforts from this week to help the little guy out. I truly believe that if everyone were to recycle and make a little effort, we would all have a few bucks extra a month that we can use ourselves or donate to a good cause. Not to mention we help the environment and reduce our public landfills. =)
posted by Cam at 8:55:00 AM |

3 Comments:

Blogger Emerald said...

Thank you Cam!! You are the best!

Saturday, August 27, 2005 9:22:00 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I am so glad that he slept outside of his cage all night long. That is just wonderful news. So glad that is improving daily.

Saturday, August 27, 2005 11:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow--I haven't been around for a while but it's soo good to see that Wampi is looking so much better! He looks like he's putting on weight and his fur is so much thicker and sleeker than it had been when I first found this site!

Good luck to you and Wampi, and good luck to Emerald and her future pet!

--TwoDragons

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 3:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home