Tuesday, August 02, 2005
Recycling - What are the rules in NYC? In the U.S.? In other Countries?
Hi everyone!

I just spent the last 2 1/2 hours walking to and from the grocery store where I recycle cans and bottles each week. This week I brought in a whopping 501 cans & bottles!!! I think I lost a few pounds in sweat definitely and I also learned a few things about recycling in New York City.

Recycling Things I learned:
1. The Food Emporium (the grocery store where I recycle everything) will only take either 48 items or 240 items at a time, depending on who is attending the recycling station. And still other employees will ring up 40 cans/bottles at a time ad infinitum and not make me leave and come back. I told the manager that I'm recycling to help pay off a vet bill for my cat who was thrown off the roof and he just looked at me. I think he had a hard time comprehending that someone would actually do that. He just shook his head. But he still said "It's the Law, we can only take 240 at a time." Hmmm... seems weird to me. Wonder if that is just *their* store policy...

What are the laws governing recycling in NYC? NY state? the U.S.? How does it work in other countries? Please leave me comments if you can answer any of these. =)

2. The Food Emporium will NOT take cans/bottles if they don't sell that product in their store. They wouldn't take any of the small plastic Pepsi bottles I had. However, on my way home, I stopped at Rite Aid Pharmacy and they said they would take any recyclable bottle or can. It didn't matter if they sold it or not. And when I asked if there was a limit to how many they would take at a time, they said "no limit, however many you want to bring in." Well, that's interesting!

3. Apparently, it's The Law in New York City that you recycle cans, bottles and a whole list of other items. How many buildings in NYC do this? How many people in the U.S. actually recycle? How does recycling work in other countries?

Are these store policies? Is this really NY State Law? Are there different laws depending on the states? How does recycling work in other countries?? I would really like to know these things.

The superintendent of my buidling *still* couldn't fix the window latches but there's a professional window repair guy now coming out next week. But the super did patch up my kitchen ceiling which collapsed from a water leak from upstairs! Yes, more broken things. Dell PROMISED they would be here tomorrow to fix my computer ... until then I'm using this computer from my school and I can't upload photos. (I'm going to research the recycling thing tomorrow too when I have my computer back.)

Wampi is doing great ... he goes to the vet on Friday for the X-Rays! Hopefully I'll have a photo update tomorrow (from *my* computer).

Donor update:
HUGE THANK YOU's go out to emerald (she sold her diamond ring on E-Bay!), Shannon and Joyce for their donations! Ya'll are awesome. =D
posted by Cam at 7:19:00 PM |

9 Comments:

Blogger Blueyes said...

There's a recycling plant sort of down here so you can bring them whatever you have and it doesn't matter how much is there, they just weight the stuff and pay you and your on your way.

Plastic I'm not sure about.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 8:17:00 PM  
Blogger Emerald said...

I have a few cans for Wampi. I'm taking them from work when the guys ditch them. Every little bit will help! Go Wampi! Go Wampi!!

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 8:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd let you know, Emerald is an absolute gem, a wonderful lady to work with, and is sending the ring all the way to Australia (even thought her ad stated US and Canada). She has really gone out of her way for Wampi and deserves a medal for all her hard work and efforts. So it's not just Go Wampi this week, it's Go Emerald. A legend in her own right, and a big personal thanks from us here in Aus.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 4:01:00 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Glad Wampi is going good. Thanks Emerald.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 3:58:00 PM  
Blogger Emerald said...

stop!! *blushing* It's not about me it's about Wampi! I'm doing what I can because I want to. Pay it forward everyone!

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 4:40:00 PM  
Blogger Cam said...

Yay emerald! It's so amazingly wonderful how you've been helping Wampi. =D

And actually so many of you are amazing ... people all over the world!

I am so touched at how many emails I get every day asking me about Wampi, wondering how he's doing and how they can help. So many people linking, recycling cans, donating, speaking out and spreading Wampi's story.

There were more than 700 hits on the website yesterday!

Awesome!

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 5:47:00 PM  
Blogger Pikkel Weezel said...

This may help you during Wampi's recovery. http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4957/905/1600/catcarrier.jpg

Thursday, August 04, 2005 6:47:00 AM  
Blogger Cam said...

the mad perseid - that seems wrong that you have to pay 10 cents then you only get back 5 cents on your deposit! Is that Canada's way of taxing food and drink?

Wow. Some places make it much easier to recycle, whereas others seem to do things to make people NOT want to recycle. hmm....

Thursday, August 04, 2005 1:26:00 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Here in the UK, we don't have cash returns on recyclables but there is an incentive for us to recycle cos that way we can reduce our council taxes. (In theory, I've been recycling since the 1990's but my bills have always gone up!) My council supplies a recycables bin, a compost bin and a general trash bin they don't collect the general trash every week now in order to encourage us to recycle. I believe in Germany it is mandated by law that some things should be recycled.

Friday, August 05, 2005 6:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home