Friday, August 12, 2005
A New Approach?

Wampi, some of his nicknames include: Wamp, Wampers, Wampster, & Wamp-meister! Too cute, huh? =)


So every day I've been taking Wampi out of his cat cage to exercise a little bit, and every day he walks a little (limps) and then returns to the stool in front of his cage wanting to go back in. He can't jump up on the table by himself.

Today, I picked him up and he was purrring furiously ... it was so nice. I pet him and held him then sat down on the couch with him in my lap. Almost immediately he went to the edge of the couch, stepped carefully on the box I put next to the couch, then onto the stack of books I set up, then onto the floor.

Yes, I made him kitty steps!

Today, within a matter of 2 minutes he went down the steps, walked about 5 steps over to the stool and meowed for me to put him back in the cage. Who would have ever thought he would want to stay in there?? It is his safe place, true ... but I thought about something else.

I think I got this whole physical therapy thing all wrong.

I've been trying to rehabilitate him. His leg is healing with time (and Emerald's reiki! thank you!) but he needs to exercise it and get comfortable with it on his own time.

Maybe I'm pushing him a little bit too much. I can tell he's in some pain(not horrible though), but he can walk with a limp. I highly doubt the vet is going to say he has to have surgery. I've had my share of traumas, broken bones and surgeries and there is always a period of time to recoup in addition to the initial repair and healing. Especially with joints.

And, he has some sort of post traumatic stress disorder going on.

So, I think taking him out to pet him is a good thing, but I am going to set up some sort of step system (here too) and leave the cage door open. He can come out when he's ready and go back when he's ready. If I had room in our apartment, I would move the cage to the floor to an out of the way spot so he'd feel better, but we don't have anywhere else for the cage.

I know his legs are going to heal, even if he has a little bit of a limp. It's the emotional scars now that I now believe will take the longest to heal. Little bit, by little bit!

Some pics from today:


Here's Wampi just hanging out. He seems really happy here and mellow.



Wampi wonders what the heck I'm doing.



Wampi ventures out just a little bit. He never came all the way out of the cage.



Wampi was meowing a lot here ... I think he was just afraid to go any further on his own. He turned around, and went back inside.



Wampi retreated to the back of the cage. Maybe he thought I was going to take him out again. Poor fella.
posted by Cam at 5:55:00 PM |

11 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

Cam, I am hoping that this is just something wrong with blogger. All I can see on your blog is a few pictures, so I will try back later to get a Wampi update. I do see that your windows are fixes. This is wonderful. Hope Wampi is doing good.

Friday, August 12, 2005 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger Emerald said...

I love his nicknames! I'm not sure if you've said, but how did Wampi get his name?

Saturday, August 13, 2005 12:43:00 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Wampi must be feeling so defenseless right now, but I'm sure there's not a more loving, nurturing environment that he could be in. That should be a comfort to him during his recovery. I wish there was something to do to help speed things along for him.

Saturday, August 13, 2005 10:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the latest pics. The Wamp looks good, alert and lots of facial expression. What a character. Bet he is a lot 'o fun.

Sunday, August 14, 2005 9:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got to be friggin' kidding me! Post Traumatic Stress Disorder!???

Viet Nam vets get PTSD, women who have been raped get PTSD - PEOPLE get PTSD. Not friggin cats. Jesus christ almighty what is this world coming to?

Next you're going to say the damn cat needs therapy and ask everyone for more money for THAT, right?

Good lord.

Sunday, August 14, 2005 11:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I can see that our pillar of strength and virtue is back.

It's often been said that animals can't feel human emotion. One of those being PTSD. Not only Vietnam Vets get it but children, non military personnel and oh yeah dare I mention people who survived 9/11 and Columbine.

Yet watch a horse that's been trained badly (they are fearful and shy away from human) a dog that's been kicked one too many times (probably from the likes of you) they as well are fearful and not trusting. So I'd say that animals do suffer emotional abnormalities and conditions.

I'm just sorry to see that your mind isn't as open as your mouth. More's the pity, I was almost certain that you'd have something intelligent to say....till you let your fingers get in the way.

Do everyone a favor, take your toxin somewhere where it's wanted.....because it's not wanted here.

Monday, August 15, 2005 1:35:00 AM  
Blogger Jenifer D. said...

Cam, I am glad to see Wampi trying to get around. His recovery may take some time though. It may be at least two months before he regains his full ability to walk and run. He's been though a lot I'm willing to bet. Hang in there!

Monday, August 15, 2005 2:01:00 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Cam, don't let the anonymous idiots get to you. If I were you I would block anonymous comments. This idiot must not have anything better to do.

P.S. I am headed to the bank this morning with all my change. I have over 150.00 for sure. Will sent it your way when I get back.

Monday, August 15, 2005 9:29:00 AM  
Blogger Cam said...

Anonymous troll ~ you should think before you type. Whatever you want to call it, animals do suffer post traumatic stress disorders (whatever you want to call it). I've fostered a lot of cats, cared for rescue cats and dogs and have seen various degrees of it. It's real.

And I'm not asking for people to pay for counseling for my cat. Get real. I'm taking care of him and still trying to pay off the loan that I took out to pay for LIFE-SAVING surgery. I had the option to put him down or do the surgery.

I chose life.

You choose to come to this blog and read it, so stop your whining. It's really annoying. Choose that little red X in the upper right corner if you don't like what you read.

Monday, August 15, 2005 11:06:00 AM  
Blogger Cam said...

Thanks everyone else for being so supportive. I'm sick today and gotta lay down ... I'll be back later to post Wampi pics.

Monday, August 15, 2005 11:07:00 AM  
Blogger JT said...

Your step system is an excellent idea. One of our cats (who has since died) suffered a saddle thrombus, when a blood clot lodged in her aorta at the base of her spine, where it branches off to feed the legs. It wasn't completely blocked, and she was always a very strong (and strong-willed) cat, up until the very end, so she was able to walk again although she was never graceful and couldn't jump up on things anymore. Once we moved her out of the bedroom (we had her on blankets in there with food, water and a litterbox very close to her -- and she let us know when she wanted out of the bedroom, right *now* if you please), we put her food and water still very close to where she was hanging out. Gradually, as the weeks passed, we moved the food and water further away, forcing her to walk a little more and exercise her legs. Like I said, she never regained all her ability again but she got around fine, and she sure could scoot (even if it was sideways) when it was time for her pill! :)

And yes, you can call it Post Traumatic Stress Disorder if you want to. If being thrown off of a six-story building doesn't allow that diagnosis, nothing does.

I hope you're feeling better soon, too.

Monday, August 15, 2005 7:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home